One of the most powerful, natural weight loss solution that is used by all cultures all over the world. Do you want to know what is it? It is Intermittent Fasting For weight loss
But what fasting is? Is it starving ourselves? No, FASTING is not the same as STARVATION
The main purpose of this article is to provide everything you need to know about Intermittent Fasting in order to get started.
WHAT IS INTERMITTENT FASTING FOR WEIGHT LOSS?
Fasting is the controlled voluntary abstinence of food that can be done for many reasons i.e. spiritual, health, or political protest. It is not starving ourselves, it is abstaining from eating for a certain length of time, every day, or some selected days of week or month.
Mahatma Gandhi has said a genuine fast cleanses the body, mind, and soul. Fasting has a positive impact not just on our body but also on our mind and even on our soul as fasting is linked with many health as well as spiritual benefits.
IF is one of the most widely used practice to remain healthy and fit. Many studies proved that It can have numerous health benefits on the brain and body and even helps to reduce weight.
Also read How to stay fit and healthy at home
Why almost all religions prescribe fasting to their believers? to harm them? to starve them? No, to benefit them. Now we know from science that there are so benefits associated with fasting.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF INTERMITTENT FASTING
Benjamin Franklin (considered to be one of the smartest men ever lived) has said “best of all medicines are resting and fasting.” Resting is freedom from stress. And fasting which is to cleanse our system or the process of purification. No drugs or surgery but resting and fasting.
Fasting has many benefits on our health some of which are mentioned below:
- INSULIN LEVEL: Fasting makes blood levels of insulin drop and facilitates fat burning.
- CELLULAR REPAIR: When we fast our body induces important cellular repair processes like removing waste materials from cells.
- REDUCE OXIDATIVE STRESS AND INFLAMMATION IN THE BODY: Oxidative stress may result in unstable molecules, which can react with other molecules and damage them. Fasting (IF) improves the body’s resistance to oxidative stress and also help fight inflammation.
- BENEFICIAL FOR HEART HEALTH: Fasting improves cholesterol, inflammatory and blood sugars levels decreasing the risk for heart-related disease.
- PREVENT CANCER: Fasting has positive effects on metabolism that reduces the risk of cancer. Fasting can also reduce the various effects of chemotherapy.
- GOOD FOR BRAIN: Fasting improves various metabolic features known to be important for brain health.
- WEIGHT LOSS: IF has become popular nowadays because of its weight-loss ability. When we fast we eat fewer calories also fasting increases levels of Norepinephrine, a hormone, and neurotransmitter that can boost metabolism and increase calorie burning throughout the day. This eating pattern may also reduce levels of insulin, a hormone involved in blood sugar management. Decreased levels can promote fat burning and leads to weight loss.
Also, Read Best Detox water recipes for weight loss
METHODS OF INTERMITTENT FASTING
The 16/18 method
This method is very popular it involves fasting 14-16 hours which restricts the daily eating window by 8-10 hours. This method is like not eating anything after dinner and skipping breakfast. But you can drink water coffee or other zero-calorie beverages that can eliminate the feeling of hunger.
The 5:2 Diet
The diet involves eating 5 days of the week while restricting calorie intake for 2 days of the week. This diet is called the fast diet. This method is mostly followed by those who just started intermittent fasting for weight loss.
Eat Stop Eat
This fasting involves a 24 hour fast once or twice per week. By fasting from dinner one day to dinner the next day.
Alternate Day Fasting
It is an fasting approach that involves avoiding solid food or caloric drinks on one day and then eat what you want on next day.
The Warrior Diet
It involves eating some raw fruits and vegetables during the day and eating one huge meal at night. For example you eat very less for 20 hours a day and then overeating a four hour window in evening.
Spontaneous Meal Skipping
It involves skipping meals from time to time that is missing one or two meals from time to time.
There are many other ways to fast also, like during Ramadan Muslims fast from sunrise to sunsets, the fast include abstaining from water as well as food. While many people abstain from food not water when they fast from sunset to sunrise
Fasting is a weight-loss tool that works for many people, though it does not work for everyone. Some people believe it may not be beneficial for women as for men. It is also not recommended for people to have eating disorders.
Look at some of the drawbacks of this fasting:
Orthorexia: IF might lead to eating disorders behavior such as orthorexia, which is an obsession with proper or healthy eating.
Disrupted Sleep: If done in long-term Fasting may disrupt the sleep cycle.
Decreased Alertness: While IF can increase alertness in the short term it may decrease it if done over a long time.
Although fasting has many health benefits it can be harmful if done for a very long period.
IF is getting famous in the dietary world these days but it is not something new. Humans have drafted throughout the ages for different reasons. Fasting is something that naturally comes to us, our bodies are designed to fast. They are designed to store food in times of availability and during times of scarcity to release it, even all animals have the same ability.
We know from scientific studies that fasting has many benefits be it weight loss or benefit for insulin sensitivity and diabetes, for heart disease, for cancer, for liver disease or to just have some mental peace.
But we must need to fast for a short time or take a regular break maybe 1 or 2 weeks because if done for a long period it may lead you to starvation.
I hope this article on Intermittent fasting for weight loss helps you to find all the information you needed. Please Don’t keep this to yourself just share with your friends and family and please express your thoughts below in the comment section.